Monday, June 16, 2008

Tears & No Control

Today the tears flowed from my sweet girl. The chiropractor gently reminded her not to let her thoughts cause her fear - which they already have. The chin began to wobble and tears streamed down her face. She does not want to have this surgery, yet she is reconciled that it must happen, and today faced the first of her three pre-surgical appointments: two to the orthodontist and one to the surgeon. My heart hurts for her.

You see, she inherited her need to control certain things honestly. She isn't quite the control freak I am, but when it comes to this condition that she had no choice in - well, it is frankly overwhelming.

A very kind young man is sitting with her right now in a Mexican restaurant and is sharing what he went through last year with the same surgery. He has opened his feelings and experiences up to her so she won't feel so alone. This mom is grateful. I can't protect her from this surgery, nor can I rescue her from this difficult recovery. What I can do is let God work through this young man, the oral surgeon, and the orthodontist to give my daughter the best possible solution for her future - at least dentally.

My favorite hymn ever is "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" and the chorus goes like this:

"I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free.
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know he watches me."

He is watching her and our family right now - I know it.
We are just ready for this to be over.

3 comments:

Mezzo Forte said...

Let me know if there's anything you need or anything we can do. I'll be praying for all of you.

Robin Lambright said...

Ditto what she said!!!!

Sarah said...

I'm going out with some Sunday School ladies Thursday night. You can come help me drown my sorrows.

But you know... for DD... she will need visitors about a week afterwards to love on her and let her beat them at guitar hero. We don't want to get isolated.